If the answer is "yes," you have a chance to win a Bob Young t-shirt compliments of the MDP. Today the MDP launched a new website
in support of their ongoing campaign to oust Bob Young this coming November.
The web page
includes a listing of poor decisions made by Bob Young and a new online contest in which participants are able to guess how many times Supreme Court Justice Bob Young has fallen asleep on the bench.The contest will begin today and end on May 1, 2010, so you have one month to submit your answers.
While your thinking about your answer, take a few minutes to read why you should send Bob Young a wake-up call in 2010.
The Michigan Democratic State Central Committee approved the Endorsement Convention for April 17th. This Convention is the first of its kind in Michigan and should give our Democratic candidates an advantage in the upcoming election.
At the Endorsement Convention, we will endorse a candidate for Attorney General and for Secretary of State - months ahead of when they will be officially nominated in August. This will help our candidates in their campaign efforts by giving them more time to meet voters, travel throughout the state, and raise more money to defeat Republicans in the general election in November.
Join us on April 17th to endorse our candidates at what is sure to be an exciting weekend for Democrats.
Governor Jennifer Granholm -
One of our primary goals this election cycle is to take back the Michigan Supreme Court. But to achieve this goal we must unite to defeat Justice Robert Young. A former insurance company lawyer, Bob Young has been a friend of insurance companies and corporations all at the expense of Michigan residents.
This loyalty to these companies was proven yet again this week when Bob Young wrote a dissenting opinion in the case of Thorn v. MercyMemorialHospital. In this case, Young wanted the Michigan Supreme Court to severely limit the compensation for the future care of the children of a mother killed due to a botched Caesarean section. Thankfully, the majority of the Court disagreed.
Young's statements minimizing the value of a mother's care for her children are an insult not only to all mothers, but to all parents as well. Once again we see Young putting the interests of insurance companies, like the one he used to work for, ahead of people injured or killed in this state, as well as their children.
Young's antiquated views would take us back to the days when "women's work" was used as a crude, offensive stereotype to deny the value of women's role in child-rearing.
The people of Michigan are growing tired of so-called "family values" politicians like Bob Young, Mike Cox, and Mark Sanford who proclaim their fidelity to family values and then betray those values by their actions.
We must send Bob Young a wake up call next November. We need your help to achieve this goal. For more information on some of Bob Young's worst decisions and how he is hurting your family and your rights, please visit www.michigandems.com.
Together, we can take back the Supreme Court and show Bob Young we will no longer stand for his loyalty to insurance companies and corporations - at the expense of the residents of Michigan.
Michigan Democratic Party Chair
To the editor:
Nolan Finley's column about the 2010 gubernatorial election ignores critical facts concerning that election. Elections are about choices between candidates and Finley failed to analyze the deeply flawed GOP field. In alphabetical order, here are some examples of those flaws:
Democrats have just started our research on these candidates, but it is clear already that any of the Democratic candidates for governor in 2010 is a far better choice than these Republicans. We are looking forward to the 2010 governor's race.
- Michael Bouchard: a landslide loser statewide in 2006, he is dogged by allegations of a pay to play system of contracts for political contributions in the OaklandCounty sheriff's department.
- David Brandon: the CEO of Domino's, the company featured in an infamous YouTube video in which employees do disgusting things to the food. This is good management?
- Mike Cox: chose a strange way to admit infidelity and he may have covered up the infamous ManoogianMansion party.
- Pete Hoekstra: a staunch supporter of George Bush's policies which have devastated Michigan.
- Terri Land: has so badly managed the Department of State that a recent Auditor General's report found that cash could be stolen at branch offices and that tens of thousands of drivers have been charged the wrong vehicle registration fees.
- Rick Snyder: Gateway, the company Snyder cites to demonstrate his business experience, outsourced thousands of American jobs to Communist China while he was a director of the company.
Chair Michigan Democratic Party
This past Saturday the Michigan Democratic Party held its 2009 state convention and about 2,000 members attended. During the convention members elected an experienced group of leaders, which include:
- Mark Brewer as Chair
- Tina Abbott as First Vice-Chair
- Lupe Ramos as Second Vice-Chair
- Ismael Ahmed as Third Vice-Chair
- Rosa Holliday as Recording and Corresponding Secretary
- Ramesh Verma at Treasurer
The convention also includes speeches by Mark Brewer, Lt. Governor John Cherry, Senator Debbie Stabenow, House Speaker Andy Dillon, Senate Democratic Leader Mike Prusi and Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney.
The Convention adopted 44 resolutions, which can be viewed by clicking below.
| Resolutions Committee Report.doc|
|File Size: ||133 kb|
|File Type: || doc|